Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Vintage meets modern

I really, really, love mixing old and new, I always have and used to drive my Mum crazy with finds from out and about that she would call ' junk '.  I would put new life into my treasure though and still do, in fact, living in France really helps my addiction of looking for ' treasure ' with all the flea markets, vides greniers and brocantes, you really could go wild with it all and at such great prices too.  Lucky just isn't the word!!

I'm now on the hunt for all things textile or textile'ish and want to start using lots of different mediums for my work to really start bringing a 3D element into Button Fayre.

Here's a recent hoop ( available in Button Fayre's Etsy land ) and is just so lovely, using found bits and bobs, new Liberty fabrics, sequins and more, it truly is so beautiful but boy these hoops take some time, this one was a 5 hour job but oh so pleasing to the eye.


More of this to come but I've also just spent the last week and a half designing and decorating my new studio.  This room used to be my therapy room when I practiced reflexology and hot stone massage but was then somewhat of a ' squat ' for my teenage son and I've now reclaimed it, yay!
I've gone for white....something I don't think I've EVER done!  My whole house is a hive of colour and I've never been afraid to use some of the most vivid colours but I wanted a peaceful room, pure even, in which to think, design and create.  However, I did find a wonderful vintage piece of wallpaper that I could never afford as a whole wall piece and so decided to buy just enough that I could frame to the wall and it looks amazing.
I've once again mixed old with new and come up with this, my own little haven to sew in.




I love it and of course will be adding to the walls in the way of my work and shelving but some quirky narrow shelving I think in which to display smaller pieces as I don't want the room to feel cramped, I need a good feeling in here to keep my thoughts clean and alive.

The ' Great Button Fayre Sewing Buzz ' is going so well, 40 entrants so far!  Only a couple of weeks to get all entries in though so finger's crossed for everyone, I can't wait to get them and I truly thank you all so much for your love and support.

Sewing magic to you all,

Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment